Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The sights and sounds of Asia...

Caution... some of what you are about to read is graphic.  Only read if you have a strong stomach...

Since moving to Asia, we have been in sensory overload, in more ways than one.  I thought I would focus on two of the senses for this blog: sight and sound. 

We'll start with sight, because this part is a bit more humorous.  Some common things that I see:

* people wearing totally inappropriate footwear.  For example, during a race I ran here a few years ago, I saw a lady running in biking shoes.  Yes, the clip-in kind.  On a run on the waterfront several weeks ago, I saw an older gentleman running shirtless, with running shorts on, and Crocs.  Unfortunately, I didn't get any of these moments on film.  My colleague, however, did get a picture of one of these moments at the Hong Kong airport.   Working in the athletic footwear industry, this really drives me crazy!!

Yes, she is wearing Nike football boots, about 3 sizes too big - in the AIRPORT!!!
* people wearing shirts that are written in "Chinglish".  This is a combination of Chinese and English, and, though it is written in the Roman alphabet, the words do not make any sense!  The best ones are the elderly women that are wearing something that says something on the provocative side...



* crazy things at the market.  Brian and I have gotten pretty used to shopping for our meat and veggies at the market.  There is not a lot that surprises us anymore, including fish jumping right out of their tank at us (pick me, pick me!).  Last weekend, however, we did encounter a slight surprise when we saw a net full of LIVE FROGS.  hmmm... give me a few more years, and MAYBE that will sound appealing!  :)
Look carefully - they are in the back - RIBBIT!
* massive amounts of people.  Especially during our commutes, there are lots and lots of people.  I feel like a fish trying to swim upstream half the time, and people don't generally pick what side to walk on - sometimes, it's the left side, while others, it is the right.  I asked a local, and she said "just walk where you feel like".  Sheesh.  What makes things worse is that many are trying to weave through this traffic while looking at their iPhones. Head-on collision, anyone??

Okay... so that was a few of the sights... now for the sounds.

* People clearing their throats... and then the following spitting sound.  This is the one that honestly makes me gag every time.  I have to share a story on this one... during a recent dinner, I was sitting next to a gentleman that, during the course of dinner, cleared his throat then spit the "product" into his water glass FOUR TIMES.  I honestly nearly lost my dinner.  I tried not to look, but every single time I looked up to chat with the other gentlemen across the table, I could see this loogie-filled glass out of the corner of my eye.  I ended up making that one a short dinner.  Barf.

* The "walk/don't walk" signs.  When it is time to walk, the signs make this sound sort of like the little drum that the Karate Kid uses.  It's kind of catchy.

* Honking.  The taxi's are super impatient here, so when someone is trying to get out of a taxi, and there is one behind, that guy honks to let you know when you are taking too long!

* English.  Okay, so this one may come as a surprise for you, but, English is everywhere in Hong Kong.  Most of the announcements are made in Cantonese, Mandarin, and also English, so I never feel quite as clueless on public transit as I could.  :)

So... that's my short list.  I'm sure I'm leaving a few things out, which I will share at a later time.  Just a small glimpse into our life here.  :)

1 comment:

  1. loogies in his GLASS OF WATER??? I want to throw up just thinking of it!!! and the odd footwear- that seems so odd????

    ReplyDelete